Rinald D’Souza is a historian of religion and society in modern South Asia. He specializes on twentieth-century Christianity and the history of the Jesuits in India. He is presently a doctoral researcher at the Department of History at KU Leuven, Belgium. His dissertation explores the self-fashioning of Adivasi Jesuits through the missionary periodical press.
Rinald holds an MA in history from the University of Hyderabad (2014), apart from three bachelor’s degrees in theology, philosophy and history. These cross-disciplinary viewpoints enable him to bring fresh perspectives to thinking on religion and society in South Asia.
He has previously worked as a researcher at the Xavier Centre of Historical Research, Goa and has co-edited a volume on Public History of Goa: Evolving Politics, Culture and Identity (2019).
Apart from his current research, Rinald reads on South Asian art history, as also keeps himself abreast on his homeland Goa. He is currently co-editing a book on The Jesuits and the Arts in Goa (forthcoming early 2023).
Historia Domus was launched by Rinald in the course of his graduate studies as a collaborative project and database for research on the Jesuits and Christianity in South Asia.
He resides in Leuven, Belgium.
Historia Domus brings together a collaborative database that collates resources for research on the Jesuits, as well as on Christianity in South Asia.
- D’Souza, Rinald, and Anthony da Silva, eds. The Jesuits, Goa and the Arts. Porvorim: Xavier Centre of Historical Research, 2023. ISBN: 9788195414505. (forthcoming)
- Abreu, Savio, Anthony da Silva, and Rinald D’Souza, eds. Public History of Goa: Evolving Politics, Culture and Identity. Margao: CinnamonTeal Publishing, 2019. ISBN: 9789387676350.
- D’Souza, Rinald. Basilica of Bom Jesus. Panjim: Goa Jesuits, 2009. ISBN: 9788190655415.
- Rodrigues, Savio, Rinald D’Souza (contr.), and Shannon Pereira (contr.). Jesuit Heritage in Goa. Panjim: Goa Jesuits, 2009. ISBN: 9788190655408.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Text and Mission in Transition: The Indigenisation of the Ranchi Jesuit Province, 1956-2000.” In Imprints of Mission. Heritage, Memory and Identity, edited by Jonas Van Mulder, Thomas Coomans and Dries Vanysacker. Leuven: Leuven University Press, 2023. (forthcoming)
- D’Souza, Rinald. “The Lived Contestations of Adivasi Catholic Identity-Making.” Ecclesial Practices 9, no. 1 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1163/22144471-bja10039.
- Athreya, Aditi, Rinald D’Souza, and Idesbald Goddeeris. “The Postcolonial Expansion of a Mission: Jesuit Education in Ranchi after 1950.” In Missionary Education: Historical Approaches and Global Perspectives, edited by Kim Christiaens, Idesbald Goddeeris, and Pieter Verstraete, 80–117. Leuven: Leuven University Press, 2021. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctvt9k296.6.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Gõycho Ramponkar: Nustem Ani Jivit.” SÔD: Konkani Research Bulletin, no. 9 (2005): 103–33.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Vasco Do Rego, SJ: Bharotiy Kristi Dhormik Sahityacho Natu.” SÔD: Konkani Research Bulletin, no. 8 (2005): 57–65.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Rethinking Religious Conversion through Adivasi Christian Narratives in India.” Presented at the Summer School - Religious Conversion in Plural Societies Past and Present, Leipzig University, Erfurt, July 11, 2022.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Imprinting the Self: The Self-Fashioning of Adivasi Jesuit Identities through the Missionary Periodical Press.” Presented at the MoSa Seminar, KU Leuven, April 20, 2022.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Missionary Texts in the Shaping of Adivasi Jesuit Identity.” Presented at the Oral, Print, and Digital Cultures in World Christianity and the History of Mission, Centre for the Study of World Christianity, University of Edinburgh, June 21, 2021.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “What Does It Mean to Be an Adivasi Catholic Today?” Presented at the Lived Catholicism(s): New Questions and Untold Stories, Centre for Catholic Studies, Durham University, November 23, 2020.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Text and Mission in Transition. The Indigenisation of the Ranchi Jesuit Province, 1956-2000.” Presented at the MiMoRA#2: Heritage, Legacy, Memory, KADOC, Leuven, September 9, 2019.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Jesuit Archives South Asia.” Presented at the Meeting of Jesuit Archivists, Archivum Romanum Societatis Iesu, Rome, February 12, 2019.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Indigenising Mission: The Jesuit Mission in Ranchi, 1920-2000.” Presented at the Jezuïetenerfgoed in de Lage Landen. Onverwacht veelzijdig voor onderzoek., KADOC, Leuven, May 30, 2018.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Hoffmann’s Mundarica: Understanding Contexts, Reframing Identity.” Presented at the 10th International Conference of Missionary Linguistics, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, March 21, 2018.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “The Ajara Mission Oral History Project and the Making of a Jesuit Archive.” Presented at the Towards a History of the Jesuits in South Asia: Post-Restoration Period, Xavier Centre of Historical Research, Goa, June 29, 2017.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Preventive Conservation of Archival Photographs.” Presented at the Seminar for Archivists in Church-related Institutions, Madurai Province Jesuit Archives, Sacred Heart College, Shembaganur, October 21, 2015.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Power and Patronage: The Jesuit Mission to the Mughal Court of Akbar(1580-1605).” Presented at the Thinking through Religion and Religious Institutions, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, October 25, 2013.
- Subodh, Sanjay, G Suresh, and Rinald D’Souza. “Medieval Technology and System of Hydrology in the Deccan: A Case Study of Bhongir Fort.” Presented at the International Conference on Technology, Innovation and Social Change, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, January 22, 2013.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “Cornelius Ekka. Christian Mission and Service in Western India: Contribution of Bombay-Poona Jesuit Mission (1914-1962). New Delhi: Jesuit Conference of India; Christian World Imprints, 2021. Lxiii+ 616 Pp. ISBN 9789351485100.” Archivum Historicum Societatis Iesu XC, Fasc. 179, no. 1 (2021): 158–62.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “At Van Eyck’s Optical Revolution, the Sublime Meets the Spiritual.” Historia Domus, February 23, 2020. https://historiadomus.net/2020/02/23/at-van-eycks-optical-revolution-the-sublime-meets-the-spiritual.
- D’Souza, Rinald. “The Shift in the Vatican Secret Archives.” Historia Domus, March 10, 2019. https://historiadomus.net/2019/03/10/the-shift-in-the-vatican-secret-archives.