CALL FOR PAPERS
Oxford Symposium on Religious Studies
FALL: 2–4 December 2019
Somerville College, Oxford University
SPRING: 26–27 March 2020
Queens College, Oxford University
The upcoming 17th International Oxford Symposium on Religious Studies is a forum for discourse and presentation of papers by scholars who have a particular interest in the study of religion. Canon Brian Mountford MBE, former Vicar of St Mary’s Church and Fellow of St Hilda’s College in the University of Oxford, will host the meeting.
You are invited to make a presentation and lead a discussion of a relevant aspect of religious studies, or you may wish to participate as a panel member or as an observer. Your disquisition must adhere to an abstract of about 300 words approved by the Programme Committee of the Symposium. You are also encouraged to submit a paper, in keeping with your abstract, which may be published in an appropriate journal or book of conference proceedings. All papers presented for publication or inclusion in books or sponsored journals will be subject to peer review by external readers.
The listing is not intended to be exhaustive and is not conceived as placing constraints on the substance or type of research that may be presented at the Symposium
- Religion, Politics, and Public Discourse
- Religion & Climate Change
- Conflict of Religions
- Gender and Religion
- Family Planning
- Women’s Health Care
- Separation of Church and State
- State Funding of Clerical Schools
- Religious Tolerance
- Religion and Racial Segregation
- History of World Christianity
- Religion in America
- African Religions
- Native American Religions
- Religious Traditions of Africa and the African Diaspora
- Asian Religions
- East Asian Religions (Buddhism, Indigenous Traditions)
- Indian Religions (Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism)
- Islamic Studies
- Judaic Studies
- Philosophy of Religion
- Religious Ethics
Abstract Submission and Registration is open for the Fall 2019 session and the Spring 2020 session of the Oxford Symposium on Religious Studies. Abstracts and Presentation Proposals are reviewed on a rolling basis and notifications sent within ten days of submission.
2-4 December 2019 at Somerville College, Oxford University
Abstract submission: 15 November 2019
Early registration: 16 September 2019
Regular registration: 17 November 2019
26-27 March 2020 at the Queens College, Oxford University
Abstract submission: 8 March 2020
Early registration: 15 December 2020
Regular registration: 10 March 2020
Abstracts for the proposed papers are approved by the Programme Committee of the Symposium. The Committee evaluates the abstracts of the papers using four general criteria.
- First, the presentation must advance knowledge as to theory and/or practice.
- Second, the research supporting the paper must be well documented.
- Third, content must evidence research competence.
- Fourth, the paper, as finally submitted, must be well written, clear and stylistically correct.
(accessed on 10 October 2019)